Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Yummm Shepherd's Pie

There are few things in this world that would make me forget my troubles and wallow in the pits of self-pity for as long as humanly possible. One of the top items on my list is most definitely a homemade shepherd’s pie. I don’t know what it is exactly about this feel-good delight that just melts away all the bad and replaces them with something so scrumptiously divine that nothing else matters at that moment. I think shepherd’s pie should almost be outlawed because of how addicted to it I am! Seriously, give me a choice between that and almost any other food and guess which I’ll choose to pig out on HAHAHA >_<

As much as I enjoy devilish delights, I like to keep a healthy edge on my meals. I like to add vegetables to almost everything I cook, so I don’t feel too guilty about what I eat ;) Whether it’s a small side salad, or steamed veggies, or something extra inside…it’s always close by.  To my shepherd’s pie, I add sweet peas and carrots to the meat mixture and use lean ground beef or lean ground turkey. Wow just mentioning it makes my mouth water yummmm!

Home made Shepherd's Pie hot from the oven!

INGREDIENTS:

Potato topping:
6          medium Yukon gold potatoes
1 tbs     butter
            salt and pepper to taste

Meat filling:
1 tbs    butter
2 lbs    lean ground beef (use lean ground turkey as an alternative)
2         small onions
2         stalks celery
1 can   finely diced carrots
1 can   sweat peas
1 tsp   dried oregano
1 cup  beef broth
          salt and pepper to taste
  


METHOD:
This recipe must be completed in three parts: the potato topping, the meat filling, combining the potatoes and meat.

Potato Topping:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.  Put potatoes to boil in a pot of boiling water until easily pierced with a fork. Remove and drain from pot, peel and put into a large bowl. Mash potatoes and add butter, and salt and pepper. Stir with wooden spoon until blended. Adjust seasoning.

Meat Filling:
1. Put butter into a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened.
2. Add meat, breaking it apart and stirring until it’s browned.
3. Add the celery, carrots, and sweet peas and season with salt and pepper.
4. Continue to cook over high heat until celery begins to soften.
5. Add beef stock into pan, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
6.  Season the mixture with salt and pepper and simmer covered, until meat is tender and moisture is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

Using a well-greased rectangular baking dish (about 7 ½-inches x 11 ½-inches and at least 3-inches deep), add a thin layer of potatoes to the bottom of the dish. Add the meat mixture evenly. Spread the mashed potatoes over top and bake until top is golden and meat filling is bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Let cool. Slice, serve, sit back and enjoy to the fullest!

Note: This little piece of heaven can be made even more scrumptious with the addition of some gravy! Wowweee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment