Monday, October 1, 2012

Slow Shutter Speed Photos




Have you ever tried to take a picture at night and had it turn out blurry? It seems to happen to the best of us. However, there is a way that we can embrace to blurriness of night pictures by slowing down the shutter speed on our cameras.

I recently got a Canon SLR camera which I love, but at first all the different settings can be a little overwhelming. Therefore I've taken to the internet to explore some of the seemingly endless options that are possible with these camera's. This week while I was searching different techniques I found a picture of fireflies in a forest that used a slow shutter speed. The man that took the picture goes into the forest at night just so that he is able to capture the beauty of the fireflies. I thought that I would give this a try for myself to see how it turned out.




Since I have never seen fireflies around here and dark forests scare me, I decided I would try this out right at home. I took a flashlight and went into the darkest place I could find, which in my case was the bathroom. To change the shutter speed on my camera I selected the TV setting and used the dial on the top right to change the speed. The larger the fraction, the slower the shutter speed will be. For example, 1/8 is going to be slower than 1/60.

After I selected my settings I turned the timer on my camera, and then tried out a few different things by moving the flashlight around. I wasn't very creative but it was fun to try.



Pictures are so important for capturing the special things in life that being able to snap the shot before the moment passes is a great asset to have. Taking slow shutter speed pictures is just one step closer for me to be able to do this, so if you have any other suggestions or different techniques please leave a comment!





1 comment:

  1. Capturing pictures at slow shutter speeds sounds like a great idea! I don't have a fancy Canon camera, but I have recently 'upgraded' from an old digital camera I got for Christmas a few years ago to the one on my new HTC One S. You may be laughing at me right now, but while the camera on my phone may not have thousands of great settings and seperate attatchable/detachable lenses, it is wonderful at enhancing colors and making a good picture look great! There have been a few times that what I am taking a picture of looks better on screen than it does in real life!
    One of my close friends bought a professional Canon a few years ago and she had taken a course where she learned all the things she could do with it because there was so much to learn. I have seen what those cameras can do and it makes me wish I had my own. Oh, the creations...
    Well, good luck with your new camera and picture taking! Hopefully we can see some more 'experiments' with your settings in future posts.

    Johnena

    ReplyDelete