Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bugs for Breakfast?

I have a seriously dignified cat; her name is Josephine. She is a Siamese-cross, and she is huge.

She's large enough to remind you of a snow leopard but gentle enough to cuddle up with. She's reasonably intelligent, as far as cats go, and super stealth. Really, she's ideal in every way except for the fact that she does nothing to help with pest control.

It isn't like back on the farm when the cats would be responsible for catching mice in the barn, all I'm asking is that she pitch in now and then by killing the odd insect that makes it's way into my condo. We have a very understanding relationship.

Yesterday, Josephine noticed what looked to be a beetle scuttling across the floor. Instead of dealing with it myself, I sat down next to her in anticipation of the hunt. To my disappointment however, Josephine just watched the bug, making no move to chase it down. No claws, no pouncing, nothing. It was the worst display of animal instinct I have ever witnessed.

I left the house saddened by the fact that my Josephine really was as fat and lazy as everyone says she is. Guilt washed over me as I realized that my pampering has obviously lead to this; why hunt insects when I'm fed on command? She's lost her sense of sport.

After sharing my story with some friends and fellow cat-lovers, it was time to find out what type of insect this actually was. As it turns out, this little guy is a Boxelder bug. With some research, I learned that these insects, also known as Maple Bugs, omit a foul and disgusting odor. Relief! Josephine wasn't too lazy to hunt the bug, she just thought it was too disgusting to eat.

Just as some people don't like anchovies, or some kids won't eat brussel sprouts, cats don't like the taste of Boxelder Bugs. Can we blame them? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment