Thursday, October 25, 2012

white chalk for a winter's day

The city woke up yesterday under a blanket of snow. I'm not complaining; autumn was lovely and really, it was only a matter of time before we settled into winter. I'm dead set on embracing the seasons, all four of them.

If I can offer two pieces of advice for anyone feeling a bit chapped over the beginnings of winter, it's this: winter tires and winter boots. If I can offer three pieces of advice; winter tires and winter boots and snow day crafts. There ain't no party like winter craft party.

A couple of nights ago, I was having a great conversation around the theme of personal goals and positive affirmations. I love the feeling of bouncing positive energies around. The list we made was good, but it wasn't enough; I needed to visualize it.

Good thing I painted one of my walls with chalkboard paint!

With my list of inspiration in front of me, I started drawing. Chalk as a medium is something new to me, so I took my time to explore with different textures. I started by drawing a mountain range to symbolize the importance of connecting with my environment, my love for adventure, and the feeling I get from outdoor sport.

The best solution I discovered for achieving a softer texture was gently going over the chalk with a cotton swab. This technique allowed me to make effective use of shading, creating some depth in the image. I really enjoy how they eventually ended up.

It wasn't long before I realized that the standard classroom style chalkboard brush just isn't cut out for this type of project. I used a rag most often to erase what wasn't working; sometimes I'd wet the cloth to get a blacker black and sometimes I'd use the dry end to work with grey. This allowed me to really explore with a whole gradient of colour, which is something I had never really considered in my past experiences with chalkboards. To achieve an "earthy" texture, I'd use the tip of my finger to blend the chalk.

I went through my list of words and visualized my approach as I went. Some ideas I kept and some I erased. There isn't a "ctrl-z" option providing a creative safety net like there is when I'm working with Adobe. Chalkboards are all analog, all the time.

Creativity is an obvious theme, occupying a large section of the board. The holding hands in the top left are meant to symbolize the connection between family and friends. I eventually added a plant between the hands which represents growth; both emotionally and in the sense of community.

Balance is crucial in maintaining a happy relationship between work and play, which is why I drew the scale. The footprints in the centre I did by actually wetting my feet and pressing them up against the wall; don't ask how I did this.
The words written around my feet, "self - discovery" are meant to symbolize exactly that; a sense of self, a sense of direction, a sense of identity. 

The thought bubble at the top of the drawing is a reminder of the bigger picture; not everything that's anything happens in the little city I live in. Other themes include academicsmusichealth, and heart

And the best part of my latest art piece? I can erase it anytime and start again! For now though, I'm happy to have a visual display of some goals, and a reminder of a great conversation. Looking forward to the snow days yet to come!















2 comments:

  1. Holy moly girl! I wish I could draw like you can! There is not one once of artistic ability in me. Since I'm not a big drawer (mostly because I can't) I definitely do the list thing. I do admit though that this doesn't always work since its just words. What helps me with my personal goals is to share them with someone that way we can tag team it when one of is feeling a little off track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tricia! Sharing your goals with someone, or voicing them out loud definitely helps to bring them to life. If you're craving a way to visualize them though, you could always try a different medium; photography, poetry, or making a collage of inspirational images. And don't be so quick to write yourself off artistically. One of my favourite things about art is that everyone has their own unique style. Maybe get together with a friend for an evening of creativity and see what you can come up with together?

    ReplyDelete