Monday, October 1, 2012

Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Baked Stuffed Chicken

 
I have always had a strong interest in cooking, however I have just recently begun to explore the fine world of the culinary arts. I much prefer cooking to baking, as I never completely follow instructions, and rarely measure, both which are key to the success of baking (Betty Crocker is my best baking friend). I suppose I am more of an “adventurous” chef, which is certainly not always a good thing. When I look at a recipe, I will try to stick to it for the first time (if my fridge allows), however as I make it again, I add my own ‘flavor’ so to say. Below is a recipe which I have just recently discovered on Pinterest. I tried it last week, and to my delight, it was wonderful. Now next time I make it, I will deviate from the original a little more, just to see what will happen.


Ingredients:

  2 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
  3 jalapeños, chopped (remove seeds for milder)
  3 oz 1/3 cream cheese, softened (I used light herb & garlic cream cheese for extra flavour)
  4 oz reduced fat shredded cheddar jack (I used sharp cheddar instead, but I think any cheese would be fine)
  2 tbsp chopped scallions
  8 thin sliced skinless chicken breast cutlets, 3 oz each
  1/2 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
  1 1/2 juicy limes, juice of
  1 tbsp olive oil
  salt and fresh pepper
  olive oil non-stick spray

Directions:
Wash and dry chicken cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray baking dish with non-stick spray.

Combine cream cheese, cheddar, scallions, jalapeño and bacon crumbles into a medium bowl.

Lay chicken cutlets on a working surface and spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one, secure the ends with toothpicks to prevent the cheese from oozing out.

Place breadcrumbs in a bowl; in a second bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper . (I suggest doing this before, so you only have to have to handle the chicken once - roll, dip, place in pan)

Dip chicken in lime-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down on a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray the top of the chicken with oil spray. ( I never sprayed the chicken, as I saw it unnecessary, and my chicken turned out just fine.)

Place the chicken in the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is completely cooked.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh woweee this sounds delicious! I love love love trying and cooking new foods, especially spicy ones, and this little number already has my palate wetting. Did you find that the chicken was actually spicy with just the 3 jalapeño peppers. I myself would probably use twice the recommended 'dosage', but that's just cause I LOVE spicy foods - did I mention that? lol I see you didn't spray the chicken with the oil before placing it in the oven, I'm guessing this was maybe just to add a nice even roast colour to the chicken without overcooking it seeing as it is chicken breast. But overall this looks amazing, I know what's for dinner tonight ;) Thanks Becca.

    ReplyDelete