Monday, December 3, 2012

Ragtime Quilting

If you are cold person, then quilting could be the past-time for you. I have made a few quilts in my past, and currently decided to take on a ragtime quilt. These quilts are so cozy to cuddle up with on the couch that they are nap inducing. It is always a challenge for me not to fall asleep once I've nestled underneath a ragtime, especially since I am cold so often. Therefore, I figured this would be the perfect project for me to take on next.

The reason why they are called ragtime quilts is because the seams are not sewn into the quilt. They are left exposed and are cut so that they fray as they are washed and used, giving them a "rag" effect. Majority of the time they are made of flannel, but sometimes they are made from cotton. I chose to use flannel for mine because of how soft and cozy it is. I chose my fabric from a store called Hamels that is based out of my hometown in Chilliwack, BC, but has an online store as well. They have a great selection and so many colours and kits to choose from!

My aunt's ragtime- what mine will hopefully look like when I am finished!
Photography by Kathryn Slack
So far on my quilt, I have cut out the fabric. Although this is not very far, it is one of the longest processes in making the quilt. Plus, since I am a fairly tall girl I added some extra length and width, which means cutting out more squares. Once I start on the sewing I plan to follow the Quilt Country Ragtime pattern.

Photography by Kathryn Slack
With the cold winter days among us, I cannot wait until I'm finished this quilt! Unfortunately, it will have to wait until after final exam season. But until then, here is a video that may help you out if you end up making one for yourself, or perhaps for someone else. They make great Christmas presents, if you start now it might not be too late!

                                                               video by 


1 comment:

  1. These are such cool quilts! I have a friend who made me one of them for a Christmas present and I absolutely love it! They are the perfect thing for cold nights where you just want to cuddle down with hot chocolate and a blanket.

    ReplyDelete