Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Is Disc Golf Art?

Is Disc Golf Art?


Recently over the summer I discovered an amazing game that involves precision, skill and patience. Disc Golf proves to be an amazing pastime and in the last couple months I have become completely immersed in the sports culture. Now for those of you who don't know about disc golf, it is a game in which one must throw a specialized frisbee into a chain basket. It is very similar to ball golf but with a couple variations. Instead of having different clubs for puts, drives and approaches , there are different discs for each type of shot. Instead of a hole being 300 yards away, disc golf holes are 300ft away. In disc golf it doesn't matter how the disc gets to the basket as long as it was thrown from behind the previous shot. Perhaps the largest change when looking at disc golf is the curve or fade of the flight pattern that allows players to shoot around obstacles. This is my driving factor for loving disc golf and as you see your driver bend perfectly around a enormous evergreen, one gets the most satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

Now as for my connection to disc golf, I was introduced to it through a family friend who would take me out to play with him. Since this start I have purchased my own set of discs, competed in amateur disc golf competitions and even built my own basket in my backyard. I find it as a very incredible stress relief to go out and play 18 holes with no one but mother nature and it proves to be greatly beneficial.



In relation to the subject of art and design disc golf and fit the bill quite well as everything involved in the game entails a lot of artistic expression. This expression is most noticeable when look at the large variety of discs that exist. They are all shaped just a little differently and the discs come in all colors of the rainbow and beyond. As well as bright vibrant colors, the discs are plastered with original designs stamped straight onto the face. With product names such as Buzz kill, Vulcan, Whippet and Destroyer, any newcomer can start to see were these design inspirations come from. This art factor in an already great game just solidifies my need to continue to pursue disc golf and makes me want to continue to pursue this fantastic passion.  


(Image #1 retrieved Dec 3 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Disc_golf_in_basket.JPG)

No comments:

Post a Comment