Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lost in Art

Lost in Art

Now as I have always had a huge passion in art and in all areas of creative design but recently I can never find the time to pursue these interests. I love the creative world of working with my hands and creating something tangible that can be seen, felt and loved. Subsequently I used to create a lot of 3 dimensional art work when I was back in my high school studies. I loved making these projects and I would spend countless hours on getting something just right. It seems as if that was one of the last things that I was really passionate about on an intrinsic level. Here are some of my projects that did while in art class:


I created these three sculptures when I was taking a grade 11 art class. They are all made using different  techniques and materials. The head is made of a clay and then glazed with a overlay on top of another color. The sculpture of atlas remains unfinished and was made with clay and then finishing with acrylic paint. The final piece was made from a soapstone block and then carved into the shape of a boat, with a final wax being rubbed on top. This class helped me to learn all different mediums that can be used to create 3D art.










This sculpture I did was a depiction of the ultra famous baseball player Albert Pujols, and in the year I made this he was the home run leader of the MLB. It proved to be a challenging yet rewarding project that taught me about sculpting, 3D art and myself. It took me three months to complete this project which gave me a new admiration for individuals create this types of projects for a living.











As I graduated from high school my plan was to go to university for business and live the rest of my life as a boring management major. In my departure from my art program the one thing that I vividly remember is my teacher telling me that I would be back to work on my art portfolio and that business is not what I really should be doing. This is always a thought the bewilders me and now I am starting to feel like she was right. Im starting to think that I don't want to be lost in life anymore, but rather I should to be lost in art.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    You clearly has a passion, as well as a strong talent in art. Your pieces show much dedication and a high level of skill. Although you may not be focusing on your art as a career, you should definitely pursue it to a certain degree, because it is obvious that creating these sculptures brings you great joy.

    Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    This post totally moved me.

    There's no questioning that you're a talented artist, and the honesty in your voice tells me this is a very personal subject for you. For me, I find sculpture to be a very intimidating art form. Perhaps I lack the spacial recognition, or perhaps I just lack the practice. In any case, your work impresses me.

    It's interesting too how significant your teacher's words are to you, even now. I remember growing up, listening to adults talk about how they "used" to be involved in the arts, before they just became hobbies, and thinking "no way man, that'll never be me." As I get older, arts turning into hobbies starts making more and more sense. Now that being said, I don't necessarily think that's the answer entirely.

    Perhaps there's a way for you to bridge your passion and education together? Businesses still have much need for artists, especially as our methods of communication continue to evolve.

    Something to think about, anyway. In the meantime, please don't lose your passion for sculpture. You have a gift, and that isn't something to be taken for granted.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete