Monday, December 3, 2012

Personal Christmas Ornaments

I'm sure many of us have the regular Christmas balls on our trees. These ornaments are classic; however, sometimes it is nice to add some personal touches to them.

To give some background for my inspiration to do this I will explain why I felt the need to decorate the Christmas decorations. My roommates and I bought a tree off Kijiji that was thirty dollars and included lights and ornaments. It was a steal of a deal, but it looks like it is lacking in holiday cheer. So I took some of the plain Christmas balls and made them a little bit more festive.
Our sad little tree
photography by Kathryn Slack
The supplies that I used included a makeup sponge, acrylic paint, a hot glue gun, lace, and ribbon. First, I used the sponge and dabbed the paint all over the ornament.  I held it by the top knob so I could paint the whole ball at once. Then I used my hair dryer to dry the paint so it didn't get wrecked when I put it down on the table.

Supplies
Photography by Kathryn Slack
Next, I used a hot glue gun to secure the lace onto the ornament. I used the lace that had a slight circular shape to it so that it laid flat. I wished I would have had some glitter or jewels to add to it because it looks a little plain.

On a red ornament I used the hot glue gun again to secure some ribbon on to make a bow. I put a dab of hot glue on the back and then wrapped the ribbon around to the front. I tied the bow and then cut the ends off to make it look neater. Some buttons would have been cute to add to this one in the center of the bow.
New and Improved Ornaments
Photography by Kathryn Slack

Overall, my attempt to add some personality to our Christmas tree was not very effective, but it did result in some cuter Christmas ornaments with some personality.  I suppose over time we will have to take baby steps to making our tree a little more festive! Feel free to comment and leave some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment