Thursday, November 1, 2012

Seeing the world through little windows

Stamp collecting has long-since been a passion of mine...since I was old enough to send a letter to my grandma all on my own. Now I know that hardly anyone ever uses 'snail mail' anymore, except for my grandma probably lol, but I still get so excited when I see an envelope in the mail with a stamp on it.

Postage stamps remind me of the good ole days when life was easier and simpler, before the advent of emails and smartphones, when you can personalize a message with your unique penmanship. Letter-writing showed that you actually put thought and effort and feeling into what you wanted to say to someone. It showed that you took time out of your busy schedule to sit and think about this person and device a personal message to them. Not only does letter-writing show a thought process, but it shows commitment as well: you have to fold that letter, fit it into an envelope and travel to the post office to buy a stamp and mail it to its intended destination.

I see postage stamps as a window into the life and culture of the city or town it is being mailed from. It tells a little story about the people that live there and what they're about. These are the main reasons that I enjoy collecting stamps - it opens my mind to the many peoples in all the far reaches of earth.

When I started stamp collecting at about age 10, it was to occupy my time with something other than playing with barbie dolls but as time progressed and I began to look at things differently, I saw that these tiny pictures held a whole new meaning - they could make me imagine what it would be like to travel to all these wonderful places. For me, it's kinda like collecting snow globes I guess - it reminds me of where I've been and where I want to go. It gives me something eye-pleasing that I could sit and day dream about.

I know that we are on the brink of completely obliterating the use of postage stamps to mail letters and packages, but until then I'll be collecting and dreaming about all my little worlds out there.

1 comment:

  1. Neat post Renita!

    Stamps have always appealed to me as well, but never to the point where I started actually collecting them.

    So where do you get these stamps from exactly? I imagine you've purchased some on your own, during your travels, but do you receive letters in the mail as well?

    I can appreciate what you're saying too about phasing out a unique, and personal, means of communication. Rarely do I receive personal letters in the mail these days. That being said, I truly think it's kind of making a comeback. I've read that over 50% of emails received are deleted before even being opened, and with an increasing appreciate for local, handmade items amoung young people, I believe more and more people are using "snail mail" to send party invitations, thank you letters, etc.

    We too can do our part to keep the art alive! Send out invitations in the mail if you're planning a party, mail your Christmas cards this year! Posting your letters as opposed to typing them will give you an opportunity to share your love for stamps with others!

    Awesome stuff, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete