Thursday, November 22, 2012

"Dd" is for flat tire and colander


Well, my dreams of a shoulder season bike ride were once again thwarted by unforgiving gravel and aggressive inner-city drivers. There I was, standing alone in the dark with only my breath in the freezing air to keep me company, holding a bike frame attached to one very flaccid, very useless, front tire. "D" is for flat tire.

It's impressive how quickly bicycles can go from being incredibly efficient to incredibly purposeless. Such a reliable invention, yet so vulnerable to the most insignificant shards of rock and glass. You'll never see it coming; one minute you're silently cutting through the air, racing across the pavement, and the next, you're walking your bike to the closest sign of civilization in search of rescue.

Ironically, it was just a couple days ago I was standing in the cycling section of MEC, weighing out the option of suiting my bicycle up with some winter tires. I decided to take my chances, of course, and to save the purchase for another season. That being said, I'm not sure this most recent flat will do anything to change my mind. It probably won't.

Now, of course I own more than one bicycle, but the balmy temperature of +5 degrees Celsius urged me to take my road bike for a spin that evening. There's no bicycle with more sex appeal than a slick cyclo-cross; I couldn't resist.

Fast forward to after I get rescued from outside the Humpty's Restaurant on McLeod Trail; I'm at home, and it's time to repair my ride.


Step One: flip the bike upside down so you can easily remove the flat. In this example, I'll be removing the front tire. In order to squeeze the tire out from between the cantilever brakes, be sure to remove any remaining air from the tube. Since I had already lost all of my air on the top of Spiller Rd, this was not necessary. My wheel came off with ease.

Step Two: Grab your replacement tube and the levers required to complete the job. Be very careful to not grab the wrong tubes from the bike shop. I've learned this lesson the hard way, which is a story I'll save for another post. I will tell you this though; hitchhiking in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, does wonders for teaching one a lesson. Yank the old tube out of the wheel; valve first.

Step Three: Inflate the replacement tube only enough so that it forms a circle. You don't want too much air in it to start with because that will only make it harder to eventually fit the tire around the rim. Work the new tube into the tire without actually removing the tire from the rim.

Step Four: Slowly, and patiently, work the rubber tire back into position around the rim. Be careful that the new tube doesn't squeeze out between the tire and the rim; the last thing you need is another flat! Use the levers to help work the tire into place.

Step Five: Reattach the now repaired wheel onto the frame and inflate your tire to the appropriate PSI. Replace the tire valve, make sure your wheel is secure, and while you're at it, check that there's enough air in your other wheel. May as well!

Step Six: Go for a bike ride because it's great and will make you feel like you're 10 years old again!























2 comments:

  1. Great article Alyssa, very informative!

    I'm very simple minded when it comes to riding a bike, but as I've found from you, my brother, and a couple of my friends it can actually be quite an interesting (and expensive) passion one has!

    From what I've discovered it's not quite as simple as it used to seem to just buy a bike and do almost anything with. I suppose that principle goes for almost anything.

    In my case that would be applicable to hockey sticks. The lie, flex, and the curve are all very important aspects to a players product choice. I'm sure that you have your own preferences to what kind of bicycle you ride and how you use it.

    This past summer I was debating investing in a bike to help travel short-distances or to even use with transit to going to work. I was wondering, is there any tips you could give me towards helping make a decision for what kind of bike to purchase?

    Thanks!

    Zach Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zach,

    Thanks for the comment!

    You're absolutely right; there are a number of things to consider when deciding what bike works best for you. That being said, cycling doesn't have to necessarily be expensive, and it's something that nearly anyone can find enjoyment in doing. I laughed when I reflected on the thought you put into hockey sticks, since for someone like me, they all look the same. I guess that makes your point!

    I guess my first step would be determining what kind of cyclist you are and where you'll be riding. There are a variety of styles of bicycles, designed for different uses. In your comment you mentioned using the bike to commute in and around the city, so perhaps I'll start with that.

    Commuter bikes come in a few different styles. You've got the racing style with the drop handlebars, the straight handle bar hybrid style, and the single speed road bike. A hybrid might work for you because they ride nicely both on and off roads and and can hold their own in unpredictable weather. Being able to throw a rear rack on them is super handy as well, when it comes to commuting.

    If you're on a budget, there are always a plethora of used bikes to be found. Kijiji is good place to look, and the Good Life Bike Shop always has a good selection of used bikes that can be purchased (and fixed up!) in the shop. If you haven't heard of these guys, google them right away. It's a great place to learn about cycling and how to maintain your ride. And the people are swell.

    Make sure you're bicycle fits you! My guess is you're about 5'10" (ish?) so if you're looking used you're probably wanting something in the 56-60cm range. This measurement refers to the distance between the bottom bracket and the base of the saddle. When you straddle the top cross bar, you should be able to stand flat footed with the bar snug between your legs. Apart from that, it's all about comfort.

    I definitely recommend getting into cycling once the weather eases up again. It's a great way to get around and a great way to integrate exercise into your everyday routine. In regard to some good bike shops, check out Ridley's and the Bike Shop. Bow Cycle is great too but almost too big to offer the same customer service you would receive at the other two. Minimally, just walk in and take a bike out for a test ride! And have fun!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete