Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dorm Room Ideas


 For some of us we have to move away from home to go to school. This can be exciting, fun, and scary at times. We have to move in to bare rooms with uncomfortable beds that leave us wishing that we could just go home sometimes, right? Well after living in residence for a couple of years I have discovered a few things to make our new place feel more like home and I am going to share them with you.

 "Who brings a treasure chest to University?!" This was the first question I was asked by a passer-by as I took my antique chest into my dorm room last year.  I brought this with me for a few reasons. The first reason being that I love antique things, not treasure chests. The second reason is that it's functional. When you move in and out of residence you can pack a lot of stuff into it and then it works as great storage and a table once you have unpacked it. Now I use it as a table top to put my makeup because, let's face it, there is not a lot of space in dorm rooms.




 Pictures are wonderful things to bring to your dorm.  I know it may seem a little obvious to bring pictures to make your room feel more like home but they really do make a difference. The only problem is that we aren't allowed to use nails or pins to hang them up. The solution to this is 3M Command picture hangers.  This is what we are suppose to use according to the MRU Residence Handbook.  These hangers stick to the wall and peel off once it is time for you to move out. What I have done is tied ribbon to my picture frames and hung them up in a collage on the wall. It is simple to do, just tie the ribbon on the back of your frames and hang the ribbon from the picture hangers. The only problem I ran into was that some picture frames didn't have the hooks for hanging them up on walls, so I got crafty with how I tied my ribbon on, as you will see in the pictures below. Tie the ribbon in bows or knots and have fun with the arrangement that you hang them in.




Loop the ribbon onto the back of the frame using the hooks or clips.


Tie the ribbon into a bow or knot.


Arrange the pictures on your wall.



 I have one last idea that I want to share with you. Chances are that we all have access to a few empty beer bottles laying around. It turns out that not only are they great for holding beer but they are also great for holding bracelets. Clean out an empty bottle and wrap your bracelets around it; its that simple!




 Well I know my style is not for everyone but I hope that you have been inspired to try some cool things in your new room.  Feel free to comment or leave more ideas!



3 comments:

  1. I love the beer bottle idea ... it's awesome. I never would have thought of that! I find you can also change the feeling of your room simply by changing your bed sheets. For example, I LOVE cheetah print, and am still looking to buy cheetah sheets. I feel like this would make my room look so much better. Besides, I already have cheetah print pillow cases. Another thing I have done to decorate my room, is hanging up lime green curtains. They are definitely a good way to add some color, especially if your walls are white. Another idea (which is cheap) is making a poster to hang on your wall. One day, when I was having a rough day, I picked out a whole bunch of uplifting quotes and put them on poster paper. I try to read it every night before bed. I also love having candles in my room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with how bed sheets can change the feel of a room. I have been trying to find plaid sheets for ages, but it is really difficult to find them for residence because the beds are extra long twin size. I feel like I have looked everywhere and have only been able to find one store that sells them in just a few colours and fabrics. As far as cheetah print goes, I haven't seen any either!

      You remind me of my roommate from last year. She also had written posters of inspiring quotes all over her walls. My personal favourite of her's was "even if you fall on your face you are still moving forward". Whenever I read it would always make me smile and laugh.

      Delete
  2. These are all awesome ideas, I especially love the treasure chest idea! I am on the look out for one at a second hand store! Thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete