Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cherry Cheesecake??


A non-bake cheesecake, what could go wrong?  Well apparently lots if you live in residence.  First off was the fact that I only had one pan and the night before I had used it to make a casserole.  Luckily my mother loves Tupperware and made me take half of her stock from home so the pan issue was an easy fix.  It was about this time that I decided to look up the recipe since it has been a while since I’ve made a cheesecake.  Upon finding the “perfect” recipe that I happened to have “all” the ingredients I discovered I had no vanilla.  No biggie I decided vanilla is usually optional anyways.  So I began the process of making sure everything that needed to be cold was and whatever needed to be room temperature was.  Once I had the filling done I realized that I usually used a bigger pan and that I was going to have a very thick cheesecake.
Now I began to assemble this seemingly easy dessert.  I meant to take pictures as I went along but before I knew it I was to the point of no return and had the cheesecake put together except for the topping, this is where I run into yet another problem.  I don’t have a can opener, so my non-bake cheesecake is currently chilling in the fridge while I locate someone with a can opener.  I’m a Resident Advisor for MRU so I’m hoping one of my residents has one (I’m betting on one of the girls having one). 
And now for the break down of how this hopefully magnificent cheesecake came to be:
INGREDIENTS
            Crust
            1 cup Graham Wafer Crumbs 250 mL
            1/4 cup Granulated Sugar 60 mL
            1/4 cup Butter or Margarine, melted 60 mL
            Filling

            2 envelopes Dream Whip Whipped Topping
            1 cup Granulated Sugar 250 mL
            1 cup Milk, Cold (as indicated on Dream Whip instructions) 250 mL
            1 pkg (8 oz) Cream Cheese, Softened 250 mL
            1 can (19 oz ) E.D.SMITH Light & Fruity Cherry Fruit Filli


    Since I what I want I veered away from the directions.  I didn’t bake the crust
because I have never done it before and it turns out fine.  I did follow the directions
about making sure that the mixing bowl, beaters, and milk were cold.  This helps the
filling firm better.  When I mixed the filling I did make the Dream Whip first but I
add the sugar until after I had put the milk in.  I also cut up the cream cheese
because it beats together way better. 
      I’m still trying to locate that can opener but when I do I’m planning on freezing this cheesecake for a later date for my residents (possibly a community meeting).  One last tip before I leave you is that no matter how good the filling looks don’t eat a big scoop full.  It leaves you with a huge stomach and puts you off of eating anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment