Sunday, September 30, 2012

BBQ Part 2


Now for the main course! You can choose what type of meat you want to barbeque up however I must warn you now, I’m extremely bias. Being born and raised eating good old Alberta beef, my go to is a nice fat juicy steak. If you follow these simple steps you will be on your way to being an expert.

Picture from: FreeFoto.com

Step:1

First thing first, picking that right cut of meat. This can be more difficult than one may think, words such as strip loin, sirloin,  flank, chuck, rib can be overwhelming. An important factor to consider before purchasing meat is to know which affect how tender a piece of meat is. The length of muscle fiber is what makes meat tough. How the meat is handled has a great impact on whether it is tough or tender. If the meat has been handled properly, it will be juicier, resist spoiling longer, and have a better texture. Personally, I would recommend strip loin.  


Step 2: Marinating 

1. Stab the steak with a fork 5-10 times on each side.
2. Take a zip lock bag, double check that it has no holes in it, proceed to place the steaks in the bag.
3.Take a can or bottle of your favorite type of beer and pour it in the bag. 

  1. Add worshire sauce, approximately 3 TBSP
  2. Add 1 clove of garlic per steak into the ziplock bag
  3. Salt and pepper to taste
  4. SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE
  5. Let it sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours
  6. Take the steaks out of the ziplock bag, and place them on a plate. 
  7. Coat the top of the steaks with Montreal Steak Spice.
  8. Light the barbeque - medium heat to high heat.
  9. Once the barbeque is at the right temperature, place the steaks on the barbeque. 
  10. Set a timer:  rare - 4 minutes a side

  
Step 3: Taking the steaks out of the fridge


Step 4: The barbeque process

Before you put the steaks on barbeque you might want to ask your guests how they like their steaks done.
Picture from: freeFoto.com
medium rare- 5.5 minutes       
medium - 6 minutes a side
medium well- 7 minutes a side
well done- 8 minutes a side

Take the steak off the grill, place on a plate and tent it with tin foil for five minutes, this allows the meat to finish cooking and release the succulent juices. Finally ready to serve.

There you have it, a steak cooked to perfection. Your dinner guests wont be able to stop talking about your meat. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Krafty Kim
    I think you need to give that time schedule to restaurants because it seem that no-one can get a steak right now a days. Regardless of my bitterness toward mediocre steak houses I found your post great because I had no idea of the marinating process. One other tip that I found very helpful was that fact of putting tinfoil on after the meat was cooked to finish the process. I could probably use this recipe and I think your descriptive advice would easily get me through the steps. I also love the tone of your writing because it really gives me a sense of simplicity and guidance to help me along the way. Great post and I will definitely be reading your other recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete